DEKALB COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
FERNBANK SCIENCE CENTER
Program Offerings 1st SEMESTER 2014-2015
(Principal Must Verify Bus Funding Prior to Your Representative’s Online Program Request)
HOW TO MAKE BEST USE OF FERNBANK SCIENCE CENTER PROGRAMS
The programs listed in this brochure are designed to supplement instruction you have planned for your classroom. They should be included in your lesson plans. In preparation for your Fernbank program we suggest you do the following:
Selecting a Fernbank program:
1. Review the sections of this listing (one under Outreach, the other under Single-Visit) that are appropriate for your grade level. Choose programs that will support your classroom instruction.
2. Read the Program Descriptions (see previous page).
Scheduling the program:
1. Your school has an appointed date for each semester when a representative will use an online form to schedule programs. Determine who your school’s representative is and give this person a list of those programs you would like to schedule during the semester. Only one online form submission should be sent from each school.
2. When your representative receives confirmation of scheduling, determine which of the programs you requested were actually scheduled. Note the dates, starting times and lengths of the programs.
3. If you have scheduled a single visit program at a Fernbank facility, your school is responsible for obtaining a bus. If you are coming to the planetarium, please remember that seating starts 15 minutes prior to the program starting time; thus, you will need to plan on arriving at Fernbank about 20 minutes prior to show time in order to check in and get your students off the bus and lined up in time.
Preparing for the program:
1. Review the program description carefully. Use the standards listed to complete your lesson plan for the day of the program. Each program description includes standards for the program which are keyed to the CCGPS and/or GA HS Graduation Test standards.
2. On days prior to your Fernbank program include the pre-visit activities and a review of the vocabulary in your lessons.
3. Note the location of the program in the description or in this brochure. It is your responsibility to direct the bus driver to the proper location.
4. If your school requires permission slips, make sure these have been properly submitted. For puberty programs, make sure parents are aware of the scheduled class and you have followed prescribed procedures relating to their children’s attendance.
5. Note the weather forecast. If your program is outdoors (as shown in the NOTES column), remind students the day before to dress appropriately.
6. If you have scheduled an outreach program, please call or e-mail Fernbank and communicate with the instructor at least a week prior to the program. The Fernbank instructor may have some special needs to coordinate with you.
On the day of the program:
1. Arrive on time for single visit programs. Remember, for the planetarium, this means arriving 20 minutes prior to the program start time.
2. At the main Center building, check in with the receptionist. You should have received a confirmation letter. Please give this to the receptionist. Know how many students (and adults) you have in your group.
3. For all programs, whether single visit or outreach, stay with your class. You, not the Fernbank instructor, are responsible for your students.
After the program:
1. Include the follow-up activities in your lesson plans.
2. Complete the follow-up activities. Review the vocabulary and concepts that were included in the program.
3. We may give or send you a form to evaluate the program. We appreciate your taking time to do this.